Non-Insured Disaster Assistance Program (NAP) Deadline

July 7, 2020


Katelyn Parsons

Acreage Reporting: The deadline for filing acreage reports for Spring-seeded crops for both Federal Crop Insurance and NAP is Wednesday, July 15, 2020. If you have questions, contact your Federal Crop Insurance agent or your local FSA Office.

Loss Reporting: 2020 has presented farmers with challenging weather conditions and producers covered by a Federal Crop Insurance policy are reminded to monitor their crops for insurable damage throughout the growing season. If you notice damage, contact your crop insurance agent within 72 hours of discovery, 15 days before harvesting begins and within 15 days after harvesting is completed on the insurance unit. Three other important reminders:

  • Check with your Federal Crop Insurance agent to review any prevented planting
  • Direct marketed crops must have a yield appraisal before harvest, is a loss is
  • Do not destroy any crop evidence needed to support your claim without clear direction in writing from the insurance

Producers having NAP coverage have similar loss reporting requirements and should contact their local FSA Office to report losses and review any prevented planting options.

Remember, if ever in doubt about filing a notice of loss, always contact your agent or FSA!

 Losses on Crops Not Insured under Federal Crop Insurance nor Covered under NAP or Physical Losses: Even if you suffer losses on noninsured crops or crops not covered by NAP or physical losses such as building, equipment, etc., you should still notify your local FSA Office about the loss(es). FSA is responsible for monitoring crop conditions for disaster designation purposes and also may have other programs that could provide assistance.

This is material is based upon work supported by USDA/NIFA under Award Number

2018-70027-28588. UMass Extension works in partnership with the USDA National Institute of Food and Agriculture and the Northeast Extension Risk Management Education Center to educate Massachusetts producers about Federal Crop Insurance and USDA Disaster Assistance Programs.

For more information, please contact UMass Risk Management Specialists Paul Russell at [email protected] or Tom Smiarowski at [email protected]